Cubic Telecom launches truly global phone
"All Global Calls Are Local Calls" With Cubic Telecom's Mobile Phone Solution
Company Unveils Both Product and Vision at First Annual TechCrunch 40
CORK, IRELAND, and SAN FRANCISCO, CA--Sep 17, 2007 -- (TechCrunch40) -- Cubic Telecom today unveiled what many industry watchers are calling the world's first true global phone. Presenting onstage at TechCrunch40 before a 800-plus crowd of hi-tech entrepreneurs, journalists and other industry influencers, the company announced Cubic Mobile, a mobile phone package that effectively makes "all global calls local calls," dramatically reducing costs for both callers and recipients of global phone calls when roaming internationally.
Cubic designed the product for several large markets of consumers who are looking for ways to reduce the costs of global telephony: (1) the growing population of ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â©migrÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â©s who buy pre-paid calling cards to call friends and family overseas; (2) travelers who are looking for ways to reduce the costs of roaming on traditional plans; and (3) globally distributed teams -- commercial, not-for-profit, and governmental organizations that are all seeking better ways to manage their spend on global calls.
"You often hear that the world is flat, so why not telephony," said Cubic CEO and co-founder Pat Phelan. "We are living in a world where more and more people need to make phone calls across borders and while traveling. Our mantra is 'all global calls should be local calls,' and we have built a product that can do that."
After seeing a demonstration of Cubic Mobile, Tom Foremski, respected journalist and blogger at Silicon Valley Watcher, commented on his blog that Pat Phelan is "The Man Who Broke the Telco Cartel ...and Bridged the Global 'Voice Divide.'"
Cubic Mobile is a dual-band GSM/Wi-Fi phone that comes with several major innovations enabling callers to make and receive low-cost calls around the planet, wherever they may roam:
* MAXroam, the world's first universal SIM, offering consumers the best country-to-country phone rates anywhere. The MAXroam SIM, which can also be purchased separately, is a major breakthrough, and the result of years of negotiations with GSM carriers around the world.
* Full PBX functionality on the handset. Consumers get a single phone number, but can create multiple permanent local numbers for themselves -- up to 50 -- anywhere around the globe. All calls are forwarded to their Cubic Mobile phone, no matter where the calls originate, at the best rates for the callers.
* All Voice over IP (VoIP) calls within the Cubic network are free. All Cubic Mobile customers get a short code that they can use to make free VoIP calls to any other customer on the Cubic network. This is an especially attractive feature to families who live across borders and globally distributed companies and workgroups.
A unique device designed by a team with extensive experience in consumer and wireless technologies, Cubic Mobile also has the ability to route a call to the most affordable network available whether it is GSM or Wi-Fi. "It's consumer friendly in many ways," said Phelan. "It is friendly in its utter simplicity, but also friendly in its ability to also ensure that you and your callers are always getting the lowest rates."
Pricing and Availability
* Cubic Mobile, which comes in two models, will be available October 1st at www.cubictelecom.com. The basic model will sell for $135 and a Windows Mobile version at $219 (both handsets come with a MAXroam SIM included and an initial $8 calling credit).
* MAXRoam, which operates on any unlocked GSM phone, can be purchased separately for $40 (with an initial $8 calling credit) and is available on September 24th at www.maxroam.com.
ABOUT Cubic Telecom
Based in Cork, Ireland, with offices in Vancouver, Canada, Cubic Telecom is an innovative global communications company focused on introducing simple, high quality and high value telecommunications services. Its core target market is aggrieved customers across the globe who don't understand why they can't get value for money when making international calls while roaming. Cubic Telecom was founded in 2005 by renowned telecommunications entrepreneur and blogger Pat Phelan. Pat wants a world in which anyone can pick up their mobile phone wherever they are and call anyone in any country for as long as they like without worrying about the price. Cubic Telecom is working towards free speech. www.cubictelecom.com
For further information, please contact: Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â Media Contact (North America) The Conversation Group Giovanni Rodriguez Tel. +1-650-279-8415 Giovanni@theconversationgroup.com http://www.theconversationgroup.com