Syniverse Poll Taps Wi-Fi Users for Insights and Preferences
Respondents want their mobile devices to automatically connect to Wi-Fi, and most are willing to pay for access.
TAMPA, Fla. – Jan. 30, 2013
WHAT: According to a recent Twitter poll conducted by Syniverse, Wi-Fi access is a critical component of mobile consumers' daily lives, and convenience is a key driver of user satisfaction. The online survey found that 75 percent of respondents said that they connect to Wi-Fi daily, and 70 percent would be very happy if their mobile devices could automatically connect to Wi-Fi whenever or wherever it is available.
Other key findings include:
- 65 percent of respondents said that they connect to Wi-Fi most frequently at home, while another 30 percent most often do so at the office.
- 58 percent of respondents would be willing to pay for Wi-Fi, and more than 22 percent would pay $5 or more for access.
- 47 percent of respondents check email most frequently while on Wi-Fi, and 23 percent spend the majority of their time on Wi-Fi checking social channels such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- 70 percent of respondents said they would be very happy if their mobile device could connect automatically to Wi-Fi whenever or wherever it is available.
- Fun fact: Only 19 percent of respondents knew what the term Wi-Fi stands for as most thought the name was made up to sound similar to Hi-Fi.
According to Mary Clark, Senior Vice President, Roaming, at Syniverse, "The numbers speak for themselves. Wi-Fi is an essential tool for consumers both at home and on the go. With the mass adoption of smartphones and tablets, it is becoming increasingly important for consumers to have Wi-Fi access on their mobile devices. Based on our findings, it is critical for mobile operators, cable and network providers to continue to invest in Wi-Fi solutions that deliver seamless, high-quality experiences for end-users, whether they're on mobile networks, Wi-Fi or anywhere in between."
WHO: Syniverse makes mobile work for more than 900 mobile operators, cable and Internet providers, and enterprises in over 160 countries. With unmatched expertise and 25 years simplifying the complexities of roaming, messaging and networking, Syniverse serves as the force at the center of the mobile communications universe, keeping people connected today and forging new connections for tomorrow. Nobody knows mobile like Syniverse. For more information, visit www.syniverse.com, follow Syniverse on Twitter or find Syniverse on Facebook.