With official Google-sanctioned devices operating on the Android OS still weeks or even months away, an enterprising member of the Internet Tablet Talk forum who goes by the username "penguinbait" posts that he has successfully installed Android on the open-source Nokia N810 device. According to penguinbait, the installer instructions are as follows:
- Put android.img.bz2 on your memory card.
- After putting the file on the memory card (either one), make sure 110MB free space is available on the card holding the android.img.bz2 image.
- Download the file from either http://tablethacker.com/software/android.img.bz2 or http://penguinbait.com/android.img.bz2.
- Install the .deb from either http://tablethacker.com/software/android-installer.deb
- Launch Android from the extras menu.
For more on the Android installation:
- read this Internet Tablet Talk forum thread