ADC sheds GSM wireless assets

Irish mobile network vendor Altobridge has acquired ADC’s GSM portfolio for an undisclosed sum.

Under the deal Altobridge is acquiring ADC’s GSM base station and switching product customer base as well as some other assets and intellectual property related to the portfolio. The company will also retain all of the employees required to support the
business, which is around 70 positions.

Contracts and warranties with existing and pending customers will continue to be supported by Altobridge.

“This acquisition will enable Altobridge to broaden our intellectual property portfolio and grow our fully managed service business as we work hand in hand with MNOs striving to connect their subscriber groups at lower costs.” said Altobridge CEO Mike Fitzgerald.

The ADC wireless business supports applications such as remote wireless and small national networks, as well as government, emergency and private network communications.

ADC's wireless unit represents about 10% of the company’s revenue. The remaining 90% revenue comes in from the company's connectivity infrastructure solutions. The company will keep a wireless business unit running.

"The sale of our GSM base station and switching technology to Altobridge is a positive development for our respective customers, employees, shareowners and companies," said ADC Network Solutions business unit president Dick Parran.

Suggested Articles

Wireless operators can provide 5G services with spectrum bands both above and below 6 GHz—but that doesn't mean that all countries will let them.

Here are the stories we’re tracking today.

The 5G Mobile Network Architecture research project will implement two 5G use cases in real-world test beds.