Internet users in China were blocked from seeing YouTube.com after dozens of videos about protests in Tibet appeared on the popular web site, an Associated Press report said. The move is part of the Chinese government's efforts to control what the public saw and heard about protests that erupted last week in the Tibetan capital, Lhasa, against Chinese rule.
Access to YouTube.com, usually readily available in China, was blocked after videos appeared on the site on Saturday showing foreign news reports about the Lhasa demonstrations, plus montages of photos and scenes from Tibet-related protests abroad.
There were no protest scenes posted on China-based video web sites such as 56.com, youku.com and tudou.com, the report said.
The Chinese government has not commented on its move to prevent access to YouTube. Internet users trying to call up the web site were presented with a blank screen.
Chinese leaders encourage Internet use for education and business, but use online filters to block access to material considered subversive or pornographic, the report explained.