French telecoms regulator Arcep plans to launch a new tender for the country's last remaining 3G high-speed mobile license, after an earlier one failed, a Reuters report said.
Last year, Arcep rejected as too low an offer from broadband provider Iliad, the only operator to bid for the license, the report also said.
The tender, backed by the French government, is meant to increase competition in the French mobile market by allowing a new 3G operator to compete head on with incumbents Orange , SFR and Bouygues Telecom, the Reuters report further said.
In March this year, the telecoms regulator said it would consult on the tender with market players and publish its conclusions by September 30.
Arcep earlier rejected the possibility of splitting up the license into different frequency packages without giving priority to a new entrant.