Huawei wins Singapore NBN IP, GPON contracts

Huawei has taken out the lion’s share of the first infrastructure contracts for Singapore’s S$1 billion (€480 million) National Broadband Network. Alcatel-Lucent has also been awarded the OSS/BSS system integrator contract.

Both vendors signed an agreement on Tuesday with the NBN's operating company (OpCo), and Starhub subsidiary Nucleus Connect.
 
Details of the financial value of both contracts were not disclosed, although Nucleus said Huawei had won 70% of the value and Alcatel-Lucent the remaining 30%.
 
Huawei will roll out an end-to-end network with IP MPLS core, GPON and an active ethernet access network. It will also deliver professional services, CPE and network management.
 
Alcatel-Lucent will supply the OSS/BSS and act as systems integrator. The contract will include service assurance, customer care and billing and is targeted for completion by July next year. 
 
Nucleus holds the Singapore government’s “OpCo” contract, which StarHub won in April. The government will tip S$250 million into the company, which will buy dark fiber from the SingTel-backed OpenNet and wholesale it to ISPs.
 
Nucleus Connect CEO David Storrie said, “Nucleus Connect is committed to offering world-class leading edge services across the Next Gen NBN. The partnership with Huawei and Alcatel-Lucent will allow us to deploy the network in a timely and efficient manner to meet the stringent project milestones set out by the IDA ”
 
Nucleus Connect is required to deploy a network to 60% of the population by December 2010 and 95% by June 2012.
 
It is expected to start offering commercial broadband wholesale services by the first quarter of 2010, with an initial speed of 100 Mbps and later scaling up to 1Gbps.
 

Suggested Articles

Wireless operators can provide 5G services with spectrum bands both above and below 6 GHz—but that doesn't mean that all countries will let them.

Here are the stories we’re tracking today.

The 5G Mobile Network Architecture research project will implement two 5G use cases in real-world test beds.