News in brief: Telecom Italia, EirGrid, PlanIT

Telecom Italia will acquire 71% of 4GH, Italy’s largest chain of specialist telephony retailers, for €8.3 million in a bid to expand its ‘on the ground’ presence. Private investors will hold onto the remaining 29% of the retailer and continue to run the company. 

A second UK to Ireland subsea cable is set to be deployed after electrical system operator EirGrid contracted fiber network provider Geo Networks to deploy a cable with 7 Terabits capacity. 

A Portuguese city is set to become Europe’s largest eco development , following a collaboration between green ICT developer PlanIT and Cisco to develop new business models for city management. The pair plans to use networking technology to boost sustainable living schemes.

Suggested Articles

Wireless operators can provide 5G services with spectrum bands both above and below 6 GHz—but that doesn't mean that all countries will let them.

Here are the stories we’re tracking today.

The 5G Mobile Network Architecture research project will implement two 5G use cases in real-world test beds.