Orange has gone into damage control mode after comments by a company official were interpreted as confirmation of Apple's long-rumored tablet device.
When asked on-air about whether Orange subscribers will be able to enjoy the tablet device, Orange executive Stephane Richard replied “of course!” This sent the internet wild with speculation that the tablet had been confirmed.
But an Orange PR spokesperson told MocoNews that the response was “in no way” a confirmation of the device.
“The spokesperson was merely confirming that he is aware of the speculation surrounding a launch and that Orange would be delighted to have such a product were it ever to be available,” Orange said.
But the denial has left many unconvinced, especially considering this wouldn't be the first time Orange let news on Apple products slip ahead of Apple. In 2007, Orange CEO Didier Lombard told journalists that Orange would carry the iPhone, weeks before Apple announced its list of carrier partners.
Apple is expected to announce its tablet device on January 26, although All Things Digital now expects the announcement for January 27.
The Wall Street Journal, citing “people briefed on the matter,” said the tablet will have a 10” or 11” screen, and be priced starting at $1000 (€689).