Stores sell more mobiles

Mobile data users might be happy to engage in m-commerce transactions, but 4/5ths prefer to purchase the device itself from a retailer, research by Oracle reveals.
 
Only 16% of global mobile phone users quizzed by the firm said they bought their handset online, with the remaining 84% buying from a physical outlet. The preference for a retailer stands out against growing acceptance of m-commerce, with 30% of the 3,000 respondents comparing goods on their mobile browser.
 
However, browsing isn’t being turned into transactions due to ongoing concerns over the security of m-payment services. A total of 68% report uncertainty over the security of information transmitted from a mobile phone, with the result that just 6% made an in-store purchase using their mobile instead of a credit card.
 
On the flip side, 21% of respondents are comfortable with the idea of supplanting their cards with a mobile payment. The difference between desire and usage hints that a lack of compliant point-of-sale terminals may be hindering growth as much as security concerns.
 
Location based services provide a bright spot in the report, with 45% stating they are happy to share their location compared to 33% in the 2010 study.

The device users are most likely to seek location services on appears to be tablets. While 69% of respondents are smartphone owners, 16% already own a tablet and 41% plan to buy one of the devices in the next year.

Suggested Articles

Wireless operators can provide 5G services with spectrum bands both above and below 6 GHz—but that doesn't mean that all countries will let them.

Here are the stories we’re tracking today.

The 5G Mobile Network Architecture research project will implement two 5G use cases in real-world test beds.