Vodafone to acquire 30% stake in Asian operator

Having been given the unofficial OK from the telecoms regulator, Vodafone has opened negotiations with the Bangladeshi mobile operator Aktel--the second largest in the country.

To acquire a 30 per cent share in Aktel it is thought that Vodafone will need to pay US$300 million to AK Khan, a privately owned textiles-to-telecoms company. Presently, Telekom Malaysia owns the remaining 70 per cent, and the Bangladeshi telecoms regulator is understood to have given Vodafone an assurance that it will not block a move to acquire the AK Khan stake.

However, Vodafone is reported to be considering several options to enter this particular market--the fifth biggest in Asia--and were said to have shown interest in acquiring a share in Telekom Malaysia, a story that has gone cold more recently.

For more on this story:
- read The Daily Telegraph and Telecom Paper

Related stories:
Vodafone emerges as possible buyer for Tiscali
Telekom Malaysia: sales up, profits down

Suggested Articles

Wireless operators can provide 5G services with spectrum bands both above and below 6 GHz—but that doesn't mean that all countries will let them.

Here are the stories we’re tracking today.

The 5G Mobile Network Architecture research project will implement two 5G use cases in real-world test beds.