Webwire: Etisalat profit falls 15%; FT eyes Congo China Telecom

The UAE's Etisalat reported a 14.9% slump in second-quarter net profit to 1.59 billion dirhams (€306 million), due to growing operating costs and a charge for anticipated overseas tax liabilities.
 
France Telecom is in talks to acquire a controlling 51% stake in Congo China Telecom from ZTE. A source said the operator may later buy out the remaining 49% from the Congolese government, and that both transactions could cost a combined €300 million.
 
Tom Alexander, CEO of the UK's Everything Everywhere, has resigned suddenly citing personal reasons. He will leave the Orange/T-Mobile joint venture at the end of August.
 
The Moroccan government is looking to sell up to 7% of Maroc Telecom, and will open bids in September. The sale would be worth around $1.1 billion (€777 million) at current market prices, and cut the government's holding to 23%.
 
US media giant Time Warner Networks will begin simulcasting its CNN and HLN cable news channels online to subscribers of select cable TV providers, in a bid to stave off cord-cutting and meet consumer’s demands for more online video.

Suggested Articles

Wireless operators can provide 5G services with spectrum bands both above and below 6 GHz—but that doesn't mean that all countries will let them.

Here are the stories we’re tracking today.

The 5G Mobile Network Architecture research project will implement two 5G use cases in real-world test beds.