The latest quarterly market report figures released by Infonetics Research show that a total global revenue for WLAN technology in 2006 reached $2.8 billion, which is an 18 percent increase over 2005. The WLAN switch segment proved especially robust, showing 27 percent revenue growth in 2006.
The main driver of growth in the WLAN sector was business demand, which grew by 24 percent over 2005. Note that revenue from residential sales has slowed down. Among the report's other findings:
- Worldwide WLAN equipment revenue will likely grow 51 percent to $4.3 billion between 2006 and 2010.
- Enterprise WLAN equipment will grow strongly through 2010. At the same time that residential revenue will decrease by 2010, despite volumes continuing to rise.
- Linksys still holds the No. 1 position in residential WLAN equipment revenue market share in Q4 2006, followed by Netgear and D-Link.
- Cisco holds the No. 1 spot in enterprise WLAN equipment revenue market share, followed by Aruba Network and finally, Motorola, which recently acquired Symbol Technologies.
- see this summary of Infonetics' report