SPOTLIGHT: More than just a game

As with other sectors of the economy, wireless and mobility have brought soaring profits to the gaming industry. On-portal mobile game revenue jumped 61 percent year-over-year to $151 million in Q4 2006. Research group Telephia reports that nearly 17.4 million mobile consumers downloaded a mobile game last quarter, up an impressive 45 percent from a total of 12 million downloaders a year ago. On-portal mobile game revenues also account for 74 percent of total mobile game revenues, with off-portal downloads accounting for the remaining 26 percent. The research group says that while revenue is growing, revenue growth is slowing consistent with a market that is maturing.

Suggested Articles

Utilities and others are eager to deploy private wireless networks, and the FCC is making more spectrum available for this purpose.

Verizon is scaling Real Time Kinematics, halfway through a 2-year nationwide network deployment "with a critical mass of major markets" this year.

Application developers will benefit from the efficiency of using Verizon’s distributed network coupled with its fiber footprint and backbone.