DoJ says it successfully hacked iPhone in San Bernardino case

The U.S. Department of Justice moved to vacate a court order forcing Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) to cooperate in a high-profile investigation, saying it was finally able to unlock an iPhone without the company's help. But Apple's battles with federal prosecutors aren't likely to go away soon.

Prosecutors had previously won a decision requiring Apple to help access data on a locked iPhone belonging to one of the killers involved in December's mass shooting in San Bernardino, Calif. But Apple defied the order, with CEO Tim Cook going so far as to post an open letter explaining the company's position that doing so would threaten the security of its customers.

The Justice Department last week postponed a highly anticipated courtroom showdown, saying that "an outside party demonstrated to the FBI a possible method" for unlocking the phone. That outside party was reported to be Cellebrite, an Israel-based firm that offers tools to break into locked devices.

"The government has now successfully accessed the data stored on (Syed) Farook's iPhone and therefore no longer requires the assistance from Apple Inc." mandated by the earlier court order, prosecutors said in a terse court filing.

But while the San Bernardino case has attracted an enormous amount of attention, it's far from the only legal battle Apple is engaged in with authorities over security and privacy concerns. Last month a New York judge rejected a request by the U.S. government to force the company to help extract data from a locked iPhone in a similar case. And Apple is fighting similar battles against federal prosecutors in at least nine other standoffs across the country.

It's unclear whether prosecutors and their allies have developed a "master key" that could be used to unlock any iPhone, or even any iOS device. Apple has long positioned its operating system as all but unhackable, and the company's shares dipped slightly following Monday's news.

Apple issued a statement reaffirming its position, saying "This case should have never been brought."

The government reportedly hasn't decided whether it will tell Apple engineers how it unlocked the phone. But given the ongoing cases elsewhere between Apple and law-enforcement authorities -- and given a deeply divided American public on the topic -- any resolution of the San Bernardino likely won't lead to an end of the bigger debate.

For more:
- see this Department of Justice motion

Related articles:
Report: Israel's Cellebrite will break open iPhone for FBI
FBI: Maybe we don't need Apple's help in San Bernardino case after all
DoJ: Apple 'deliberately raised technological barriers' in San Bernardino iPhone case
NY judge sides with Apple in case similar to San Bernardino
Verizon sides with Apple against 'backdoor' into phones for law enforcement
Carriers decline to join Facebook, Twitter in backing Apple's defiance of FBI

FREE DAILY NEWSLETTER

Like this story? Subscribe to FierceWireless!

The Wireless industry is an ever-changing world where big ideas come along daily. Our subscribers rely on FierceWireless as their must-read source for the latest news, analysis and data on this increasingly competitive marketplace. Sign up today to get wireless news and updates delivered to your inbox and read on the go.

Suggested Articles

AT&T has shifted its Cricket prepaid brand to a 100% authorized retailer model, according to Wave7 Research.

The FCC decided to extend the timeline for responding to Huawei's application for review until December 11.

All operators are trying to understand the intersection between their networks and hyperscale networks. But who gets the lion's share of the revenue?