Metric: Q3 shipments of mobile handsets hit 208.3M

According to a recent IDC report, worldwide shipments of mobile phones reached a record 208.3 million during the third quarter. The only other time shipments topped 200 million was in the fourth quarter of last year. IDC attributed the growth to the continuing emergence of smart phones, but it did not provide a breakdown between shipments of traditional handsets and smart phones. All of the top five handset makers posted record shipments during the quarter. Collectively, the top five producers make up 77.5 percent of the market. The cell phone manufacturers that make up the remaining 22.5 percent saw a 14.7 percent decrease in their handset shipments during the quarter.

For more on the record setting quarter for mobile handset shipments:
- take a look at this piece from the AP

Suggested Articles

AT&T is surprisingly spending less on capex in 2020 than it did in 2019. And the other big carriers haven't predicted big capex boosts for 5G.

CWA over the weekend struck a new tentative contract agreement with AT&T covering more than 8,000 workers.

McKinsey estimates by 2030 high-band 5G roll outs will cover 25% of the global population, costing $700 billion to $900 billion.