As we predicted last week, the "media monster" device that Ed Zander teased is indeed the Z8, which the company originally unveiled at 3GSM five months ago. However, after padding the hour long presentation with details of previously announced phones like the Z8 (pic), a new ROKR Z6 (pic) and a new Q9 (pic), Zander came back on stage and pulled a Steve Jobs-like "one more thing" maneuver by announcing the RAZR2. Zander has been an unflappable proponent of the original RAZR--some say to his detriment--but Motorola has sold 98,869,377 RAZRs to date, he said. Here's what comes next with the RAZR2 (pic):
- The new RAZR is even slimmer than its predecessor by a full 2 millimeters.
- RAZR2 is built tough with chemically hardened glass, steel and aluminum casing. None of the seams are visible on the external casing and the device has less of a chance for breakpoints since it can withstand 180 pounds of pressure.
- RAZR2 will launch as three different versions: 3.6 Mbps HSDPA, EVDO and EDGE. (An indication that it will be more available than the iPhone?)
- The device also boasts an impressive 500MHz processor, which is 10 times faster than the original RAZR.
- Motorola's second Java Linux-based phone, after the just announced ROKR.
- The RAZR2 also sports what Zander called the largest external phone display for any clamshell, 2 inch QVGA. The internal screen is 2.2 inches and has a resolution twice the quality of its predecessor.
- Song transfers will be much quicker than most phones on the market thanks to USB 2.0 functionality.
- GSM versions of the phone ship in July, while CDMA ones will follow later in the summer.
- The keypad also has haptics, tactile feedback.
- Lastly, the device is also a "good phone," and features a technology called Crystal Talk, that filters ambient noise for clearer calls.
Motorola also discussed deals with Universal for preloaded movie files on SD disks for the Z8, while deals with Warner Bros. and other studios are in the works.
For more on Motorola's RAZR2, Z8 and other handsets:
- see this press release on the RAZR2
- read this press release on the new ROKR Z6
- check out this press release on the new Qs
- and this press release on the media monster, Z8