The president of Motorola' set-top box unit has left the company, the latest executive to move since the firm announced earlier this month its plans to spit into two companies.
Dan Moloney, the head of Motorola's Home business and a 10-year company veteran, resigned from Motorola to become CEO of Technitrol, an electronics-component manufacturer. Sanjay Jha, currently co-CEO of Motorola, will be the chief executive of the new business that will combine Motorola's handset unit and set-top box division.
Last week, Motorola disclosed that it modified Jha's contract so that he will receive a bigger payout if the separation does not take place before June 30, 2011. If the separation does take place, Jha will be able to receive between 1.8 percent and 3 percent of outstanding shares of the new company he will lead.
Jha said last week the company is already looking for ways to combine the two businesses. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, he said Motorola is testing its MotoBLUR user interface for smartphones on TV boxes, an effort that could get integrated into Moto products this year or next year.
Jha also said the company, which has invested heavily in Google's Android platform, is open to making smartphones running on Microsoft's new Windows Phone Series 7, which the software giant unveiled last week at the Mobile World Congress trade show in Barcelona, Spain.
Motorola fine-tunes Jha's contract ahead of separation
Making sense of Motorola's breakup
Motorola will break in two in the first quarter of 2011
Report: Motorola may spin off handsets with set-top box unit
Motorola's sluggish quarter dampens comeback hopes