Samsung pushes back Android launch

Samsung will delay the launch of its first phone based on Google's Android platform until the second half of 2009, ending speculation that it would be unveiling an Android phone next week at Mobile World Congress.

Younghee Lee, the head of marketing at Samsung's mobile device division, said the company would not be unveiling an Android device next week in Barcelona, but that Samsung is "planning internally" a launch in the second half of the year. She said Samsung remains in negotiations with several potential wireless carrier partners for the phone.

Previously, it had been thought that Samsung would debut the phone at Mobile World Congress and launch it in the second quarter of 2009 for both Sprint Nextel and T-Mobile USA. The phone was said to look much like many of Samsung's other touchscreen phones, and would incorporate design factors from both the Omnia and Instinct. All of those plans appear to be on hold now.

For more:
- see this article

Related Articles:
On the Hot Seat with Samsung's Omar Khan
Samsung confirms first Android device imminent
Samsung launching Android phones in Q2 2009
Sprint poised to debut first Android device?
Sony Ericsson to develop Android-based handset

Suggested Articles

The WBA is inviting all organizations in the Wi-Fi ecosystem to join WBA OpenRoaming and make Wi-Fi roaming better for everyone.

DSS will first be available in parts of AT&T’s network in North Texas.

NATE issued an advisory to its members Thursday about Global 5G Protest Day activities reportedly planned for this Saturday, June 6.