As the summer comes to a close, the Fierce editorial team has been taking a step back from our day-to-day news coverage and contemplating some of the bigger industry trends and what they may mean for the future. Here's a list of some of the top special reports that we wrote in August:
- With the scarcity of wireless spectrum and the growing demand for more wireless capacity, what U.S. operators are likely to merge to maximize their spectrum holdings and stay ahead of the competition? This idea became the foundation for Mike Dano's feature on Wireless carrier M&A: What are the top 5 most likely operator hookups to happen next?
- Often the only way to prepare for the future is to understand the past. With that theme in mind, Phil Goldstein explored some of the biggest missteps in the industry's history and compiled the Top 5 biggest wireless industry blunders.
- Each month, FierceMobileContent's Jason Ankeny looks at the best and brightest new apps that you can download to your smartphone. Here are August's finest--the best mobile apps of the month.
- FierceDeveloper Editor Shane Schick looked at the high price of success among mobile developers who opt to use a cloud-based service to create and run their apps. Feature
- Analyst firm Strategy Analytics looked at the top U.S. wireless carriers in the second quarter of 2012 based upon major metrics--such as churn, ARPU and revenue--of each carrier. Special Report
- With back to school season in full force, FierceMobileContent's Sandhya Raman looked at some of the best educational apps available.
Keep your eyes peeled for more special reports and features from the Fierce team in the weeks ahead. --Sue
P.S. In honor of the Labor Day holiday, FierceWireless will not be published on Monday, Sept. 3. We will be back in your inbox on Tuesday, Sept. 4. Enjoy the holiday.