Vodafone to make bid on Essar stake in Feb.

Vodafone CEO Arun Sarin is in New Delhi to meet with government officials there about acquiring Hong Kong-based Hutchison Whampoa's 67 percent controlling stake in Hutchison Essar. Sarin said Voda is also open to a partnership with the Essar group, which holds the remaining 33 percent stake in the Indian mobile carrier. Sarin said he will make a formal bid early next month. Last week, Vodafone announced that it had evaluated all of Hutchison Essar at between $17 billion and $18 billion, which would make the potential takeover the largest in Indian history.

For more on Voda's potential Essar bid:
- see this IHT article

FREE DAILY NEWSLETTER

Like this story? Subscribe to FierceWireless!

The Wireless industry is an ever-changing world where big ideas come along daily. Our subscribers rely on FierceWireless as their must-read source for the latest news, analysis and data on this increasingly competitive marketplace. Sign up today to get wireless news and updates delivered to your inbox and read on the go.