Sprint Nextel's soon-to-be launched WiMAX service, called Xohm, inked a bunch of partnership deals with companies that will provide a variety of location-based services to Xohm customers. Xohm is scheduled to launch in Baltimore in September followed by several other cities in fourth quarter 2008 and beyond. The merger between Clearwire and Sprint Nextel's WiMAX business is on track to be finalized by the end of the year, pending regulatory approval and approval from Clearwire's board.
Xohm partners on the LBS side include the following:
- uLocate's WHERE platform will provide its Buddy Beacon friend finder service;
- Yelp will offer relevant local business reviews and user reviews for everything from restaurants to doctors;
- Eventful Inc. will give listings of local events displayed in a map view;
- Topix LLC will provide local news based on current location;
- Navteq will offer real-time traffic updates;
- AccuWeather will provide three-day forecasts based on a users' current locations;
- Google will offer Local Search capability;
- OpenWave will provide the underlying location platform; and
- Autodesk will provide the standards-based interface and geospatial services.
- See this press release
New Sprint-Clearwire deal a shot in the arm for mobile WiMAX
Sprint's Xohm taps Mformation for remote device management
Backhaul, billing causes of Xohm delay