ADC sheds wireless unit

Irish mobile network vendor Altobridge has acquired ADC’s portfolio of GSM base station and switching products for an undisclosed sum.
 
Under the deal Altobridge is acquiring ADC’s existing GSM base station and switching product customer base in addition to acquiring certain assets and intellectual property related to the product portfolio. The company will also retain all of the employees required to support the business, which is around 70 positions.
 
Contracts and warranties with existing and pending customers will continue to be supported by Altobridge.
 
“This acquisition will enable Altobridge to broaden our Intellectual Property portfolio and grow our Fully Managed Service business as we work hand in hand with MNOs striving to connect their subscriber groups at lower costs.” said Altobridge CEO Mike Fitzgerald.
 
The ADC wireless business supports applications such as remote wireless and small national networks, as well as government, emergency and private network communications.
 
The wireless unit represents about 10% of ADC's total revenue, the other 90% revenue comes in from the company's connectivity infrastructure solutions. "The sale of our GSM base station and switching technology to Altobridge is a positive development for our respective customers, employees, shareowners and companies," said ADC Network Solutions business unit president Dick Parran.

Suggested Articles

Wireless operators can provide 5G services with spectrum bands both above and below 6 GHz—but that doesn't mean that all countries will let them.

Here are the stories we’re tracking today.

The 5G Mobile Network Architecture research project will implement two 5G use cases in real-world test beds.