IDC: GCC's mobile connected devices market suffers heaviest quarter-on-quarter decline on record

IDC said the mobile connected devices market in the countries within the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) suffered its worst ever quarter-on-quarter decline in the second quarter of 2015. Latest data shows that the market suffered an 8 per cent decline in shipments during the quarter to total just over 8 million units. The GCC mobile connected devices market comprises shipments of smartphones, tablets, and portable PCs to Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain, Oman, Qatar, and Kuwait. However, the final quarter of the year is also usually a strong period for mobile connected devices. As such, IDC expects the GCC mobile connected devices market to grow 6 per cent in the third quarter of 2015 and another 4 per cent in the fourth quarter. Looking at the year as a whole, IDC forecasts the GCC mobile connected devices market to grow 6 per cent year on year to total 34 million units, followed by further growth of 10 per cent in 2016. Release

Suggested Articles

Moving subscribers to 5G networks will help carriers manage network traffic, but they can't do it until customers buy 5G-ready smartphones.

The adoption of consumer eSIM services/devices remains low, despite major hype.

Wireless operators can provide 5G services with spectrum bands both above and below 6 GHz—but that doesn't mean that all countries will let them.