Google postpones Android phone launches in China

Google has decided to delay the planned release in China of two smartphones based on its Android platform, a sign the company's handset operations could be affected by its dispute with China over cyber security.

The company made the announcement a day before China Unicom was set to release Android phones from Motorola and Samsung. According to the New York Times, a source close to the situation said that given the uncertainty over Google's operations in China, the company decided the devices should not be released. Additionally, another unnamed source told the Wall Street Journal that it would be "irresponsible" to release the phones, given the current atmosphere.

Last week, Google said it had been the target of cyber security attacks originating in China, and that it would no longer censor the Chinese version of its search engine--even if that led to Google shutting down its operations in China.

Google had worked closely with the handset makers and China Unicom on the design of the devices, which were to come packaged with several Google applications. Google did not provide any further information on the delay.

For more:
- see this NYT article
- see this WSJ article (sub. req.)

Related Articles:
Google's China policy could impact Android sales
Could Google abandon the Chinese market?
Google, HTC try to calm Nexus One concerns
Google admits issues with Nexus One

Suggested Articles

MWC may be on an enforced hiatus this year but there's no shortage of device announcements that still need to go ahead as 5G momentum gathers pace.

Cisco on Tuesday touted the benefits of cloud-native software as part of its successful proof of concept for a 5G standalone (SA) network with KDDI.

The Telecom Infra Project (TIP) and O-RAN Alliance announced a liaison agreement that ensures alignment in the area of open RAN solutions.