Between Sprint Nextel (NYSE:S) unveiling of its new mobile broadband plans or AT&T Mobility's (NYSE:T) bundled offering of an LTE Samsung GalaxyTab with a free smartphone, you might have missed some of the clever and innovative features that the Fierce editorial team debuted this week. So here's a rundown of some great content you should check out.
- The holiday shopping season unofficially begins Nov. 25--Black Friday. In anticipation of the start of the season, FierceWireless assembled a holiday smartphone guide to provides details on the marketing and features for the top smartphones and tablets the Tier 1 wireless carriers will be promoting. Check it out here.
- Wireless industry executives sometimes make a bold statement, an attack on a rival or a plain bone-headed comment that stands out because it is out of the ordinary or out of touch. FierceWireless compiled this list of some of the most memorable quotes from wireless industry executives. In this challenge, you must match the quote to correct executive who is responsible for it.
- Jimi Hendrix would have turned 69 years old on Nov. 27, and more than four decades after the rock icon's death, interest in his life and music continues to grow. This month, digital solutions agency Universal Mind will roll out Jimi Hendrix--The Complete Experience, an authorized free application for Apple's (NASDAQ:AAPL) iOS that touts a wealth of interactive content for diehard fans and new listeners alike. FierceDeveloper spoke to Universal Mind's vice president of business development Tim Wandell about building the Hendrix app, collaborating with Sony Legacy and Experience Hendrix and the art of storytelling. Check out the latest Developer Workshop.
- The buzzword these days is carrier-grade Wi-Fi--the ability for a network operator to essentially treat Wi-Fi as another element of the mobile network with the ability to gain visibility into the Wi-Fi network and apply the same management functionality such as authentication that is used into mobile networks today. In this FierceBroadbandWireless feature, we look at the various Wi-Fi offloading options and find out why many operators still find them lacking. Feature.
- There's no question that smartphones are driving a lot of mobile data usage. The challenge for operators is to find a way of pricing smartphone data bundles that makes them attractive to users but at the same time does not exhaust spectrum resources or make mobile data networks impossible to manage. This FierceWireless:Europe feature provides some insight into what European operators are doing to solve this dilemma. Feature
I hope you enjoy all our coverage. Look for more creative and interesting content from the Fierce editorial team next week.--Sue