Nokia, Putian ink $111M deal for 3G technologies

Nokia launched a joint venture with China's Putian, making the Finnish company the latest telecom giant to enter China's nascent TD-SCDMA market. If the Chinese government approves the deal, Putian will invest 51 percent of the $111 million venture and Nokia will put up the other 49 percent. The companies plan to focus on R&D, manufacturing, and marketing of commercial 3G products based on both European WCDMA and China's own TD-SCDMA.

China's 3G technology, TD-SCDMA, is still an unproven technology that has no commercial deployments, but the technology has been gaining traction in recent months. Ericsson recently announced a similar TD-SCDMA deal with China's ZTE. Siemens and Huawei launched TD-SCDMA commercial products just yesterday, and Alcatel and Datang also have a joint offering for the technology in the works.

For more on China's TD-SCDMA technology and the Nokia, Putian deal:
- scroll through this press release

PLUS: 3G will transform the Chinese wireless landscape leading to consolidations and increases in capital spending. Release

FREE DAILY NEWSLETTER

Like this story? Subscribe to FierceWireless!

The Wireless industry is an ever-changing world where big ideas come along daily. Our subscribers rely on FierceWireless as their must-read source for the latest news, analysis and data on this increasingly competitive marketplace. Sign up today to get wireless news and updates delivered to your inbox and read on the go.

Suggested Articles

AT&T has shifted its Cricket prepaid brand to a 100% authorized retailer model, according to Wave7 Research.

The FCC decided to extend the timeline for responding to Huawei's application for review until December 11.

All operators are trying to understand the intersection between their networks and hyperscale networks. But who gets the lion's share of the revenue?