It looks like the rumors were true, Microsoft is set to present Windows Mobile 6 at 3GSM next week, but the company gave the industry a sneak peak today with the release of screenshots and some of the OS' features. Devices running on the OS are set to ship in Q2. Here are some feature highlights of what some analysts are referring to as "mini-Vista:"
- Microsoft's Direct Push Technology with automatic synchronization of Outlook calendars, tasks and contacts using Exchange Server.
- Mobile versions of the .Net Compact Framework and SQL Server to access a company's standard line of business applications remotely.
- Office applications (lack of spell-checking in word, however).
- Email viewing will be easier on the eye with formatting, tables and pictures viewable as originally generated. One-click options for email, such as "reply all", moving a message to a subfolder and "delete."
- Windows Vista users on the desktop can swap music, pictures, movies and Outlook information between the PC and mobile device.
- Call history is now placed inside the individual contact card.
For more on Windows Mobile 6:
- check out this article over at Playfuls.com